[vcf-midatlantic] Nice story about getting into computers in the 80s

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Fri May 21 13:46:29 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 2:29 PM Christian Liendo via vcf-midatlantic <

> https://madned.substack.com/p/a-teenagers-guide-to-avoiding-actual
>
> I thought this was a nice story because I got into IT roughly the same
> way. I was supposed to be a veterinarian not an IT person.

Thanks for sharing Christian! I liked that story. The best part was the
skinny, nerdy kid running away from the construction job. I actually did
the opposite and got out of IT and into teaching which is my passion. But I
did tutor someone in high school programming Pascal!

I do like the quotes: “Do what you are passionate about, the money will
come later.” or “Find a job you love, and you’ll never have to work a day
in your life.” This was how I got into teaching. I took Taekwondo classes
as an after work fun activity and it turned into a job. The problem was the
boss was greedy, so the money didn't come, so now I'm going into public
school teaching where the money is at least fair (not getting rich), but
the point is to love your job, yes?
The other two activities that I'm doing I'm passionate about, but they are
volunteer jobs so they don't pay any money, so I'm still waiting for "the
money will come later" for those activities.