Compaq portable III tips

Sentrytv sentrytv at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 04:03:33 UTC 2021

Yes I downloaded the floppy image for configuration.
I turned the computer on and of course it went up in smoke. Not really surprised.

I found two tantalum capacitors bad, one that exploded and another that shorted out which I found fairly easily.

After a second power up, it came on and booted with the floppy to the compaq diagnostics.
Plasma screen is nice and bright.

I still have to replace the bad capacitors and the hard drive is not spinning from what I can tell, so I’m going to have to check that out another day.
 Computer came with the optional accessory card slots attached,
which has a 40mb “hard card” card and one empty slot.
I’m not sure what size the original hard drive is supposed to be in this but I’m going to check another day.

So far so good!

Thanks!
Mike Rosen

Sent from: