[vcf-midatlantic] VCF East 2021 Pay Per View Recommendations

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Wed Sep 22 02:54:13 UTC 2021

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 10:44 PM RETRO Innovations via vcf-midatlantic <

> On 9/21/2021 9:19 PM, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> > I'm thinking about making a pay-per-view option for VCF East 2021 which
> > would stream the speakers live. There are many people who are overseas
> who
> > can't come and others who can't attend in person in the US.
> >
> > I have two recommendations so far, but does any one have any
> > recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Jeff Brace
> > Vice President & Board Member
> > Vintage Computer Festival East Show-runner
> > Vintage Computer Federation is a 501c3 charity
> > http://www.vcfed.org/
> > jeffrey at vcfed.org
>
> I think streaming the speakers live is a great idea, but can we make a
> recommendation that you not charge for it in 2021?

The whole reason that we are doing it is to see if we can generate
additional revenue to cover the already expensive costs of the show. There
are increased costs. Also last year we did a huge live streaming virtual
show for free. So we have no revenue from last year to put towards this
year's show. Also this year we are not charging for exhibitor tables, so
more revenue lost *and* the cost of table rental went up.

> If cost is the primary concern, I am sure some of us could donate to
> cover.  It's not that I'm against PPV for this, but I think the optics
> look bad to pursue this in 2021.

As stated above we gave a huge amount of content for free during our
virtual show. I don't feel it's worth the extra effort to live stream if it
is for free. People don't value free things as much. This is also an
experiment to see how successful a paid streaming will work for us. We
already know that free virtual shows work well from last year. If you
recall last year (2020) HOPE as well as K-Fest charged for their live
streaming of their shows and I never heard anyone complain or even bat an
eyelash about paying for access to those virtual shows.