[vcf-midatlantic] Cisco 6500

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Sep 22 20:09:11 UTC 2021

On 9/22/21 4:00 PM, Mike Willegal via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
 > Still useful c6500s may be, but Cisco has published an EOL plan
 > for this product that pretty much gives you no options for HW
 > support or SW support, so in you would be pretty much dependent
 > upon resale market for spares and such.  Not the type of thing
 > most businesses want to deal with as a critical part of their
 > operations.

   Well, with apologies Mike, you'd be wrong there.  Some businesses,
sure, but by no means all, and I would say not even close to "most" or
even "many".  I see them everywhere.  A comparatively small percentage
of Cisco-based networks have, can afford, or even care about, Cisco
service contracts.  Spares are readily available everywhere, from
authorized Cisco dealers with warranties, or even on the surplus market
for people with more brains than money.  And, software support?  That's
a bit of a joke on systems like this.

   Heck, there's a first-gen 6513 moving data in the main datacenter at
the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, I wasn't terribly surprised to see
it there two months ago, loaded with 10 gigabit Ethernet interfaces,
right between two of the latest and most powerful computers on the planet.

   I don't often wear my "network engineer" hat anymore, but it still
fits, and I do manage quite a bit of this type of hardware for our
networks as well as corporate clients.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ