[vcf-midatlantic] Cisco 6500

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Sep 22 20:16:21 UTC 2021

On 9/22/21 4:12 PM, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> two months ago, loaded with 10 gigabit Ethernet interfaces, right
>> between two of the latest and most powerful computers on the planet.
>
> They need to get some faster nics in those supercomputers! This ain't 2010!

   That's for off-net file transfer.  Their interconnects are mostly 200
gigabit Infiniband.  They donated a lot of their 100 gigabit OPA
interconnect hardware to LSSM not long ago.

   PSC is not living in the past, man.

   And as far as "support", Cisco, like IBM, will support *anything*
regardless of it's EOL status if there's cash involved.  I replaced and
decommissioned a Catalyst 5000 (not 5500, 5000, circa 1994!) about two
years ago that was still under active Cisco support with a 3hr-response
contract.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ