[vcf-midatlantic] Campus Map VCF East 2022

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu Apr 14 17:43:57 UTC 2022

https://vcfed.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Campus_Map_VCF_East_2022.pdf

It's a fine looking map, and has good captions. There's no more time to
do much more work on it. So it's fine for the coming event.

But the problem I see, is that your guests are on foot and in cars. They
need to see the actual walkways and streets, so they can follow them, to
get from point to point. The photos of trees *block view of those
streets and walkways*. So this map doesn't show parts of them. So they
don't see a clear path, the paths that are on the ground in front of
them. Solution? Cut and paste on the image, pieces of road.

Smaller issues. The intersection of Marconi Blvd and Marconi Rd might
include a caption: "to Rt. 18". You might include a marker on the map
pointing to "North" (not so useful in New Jersey). Will dealers be in
"exhibits" or "consignment"? You don't show "the gate" from the parking
area, it's a common point of reference. Will the "guard shack" be used
for any purpose at this event? It's not named.

And an odd thing: calling the section of 9001 "dining room" may make
visitors think it's a place where you *eat*. My memory is faulty, but
wasn't that area called other things like "the ballroom"? Or call it
nothing, but leave the rectangle mark, for this map. This is a judgement
call.

These are suggestions, not complaints. I'm not being "negative". There
may be no time for changes, that's fine. There's always another event
that needs a map, you'll be informed about use of this map, and you can
improve it.

Regards, Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com