[vcf-midatlantic] OT: time to downsize

Ethan O'Toole telmnstr at 757.org
Tue Apr 19 15:04:44 UTC 2022

> I assume those are initial release dates?  (And where did you find this
> information?)  Do we know when each of these was discontinued?  Is there
> a serial number lookup anywhere to tell the actual date for my items?
> There just seems to be a dearth of online information for these systems,
> vs. what’s available for Apple for example.
> - Bob Shuster

I think the Amiga won the love from that era of machines, those people are
fanatical. The Atari got love from the music world due to the included
built in Midi interfaces so the "killer apps" tend to be midi music
programs. I think someone just reverse engineered the security dongle for
one of the programs so it's possible to run un-cracked versions, but I
think their reproduction dongles aren't super cheap.

Your Mega 4 and the monitors are probably where the value is, but not 100%
on that.

There are some cool upgrades starting to hit, like the PCB that upgrades
the 520ST RAM. I started on a PCB for the 520ST/1040ST for a custom
ACSI2SD hard drive emulator that solders in where the DB-19 port is for
easy storage solution that is internal. But haven't finished this yet, was
going to try to line the pinout up with the STacy/MEGA2/4 internal ACSI
pin header.

 			- Ethan