[vcf-midatlantic] Replacing keyswitches on a Macintosh Plus keyboard

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Fri Apr 22 16:42:33 UTC 2022

Dan FitzGerald:

> that the keyboard was still plugged into my Mac 512Ke, and it fell of
> the desk and the top rightmost keyswitches ('/' and '*') snapped.  The

OK, I can help you but you have to help me. The M0110A keyboard for the
Plus and 512KE has a numeric keypad on the right with the keycaps you
describe. The M0110 "short" keyboard for the 128K and 512K does not.
Point one: you have the long keyboard right?

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_M0110A

Point two: there's no "standards" when it comes to keyboards, OK? Brand,
model, where it was built, when it was built - those come into play.

For expediency, I'll just ask you identifying questions.

A) what color is the broken *keystem*? Creamy white? Ivory white? Black?
b) what color is the *keycap*? Grey/platinum or brown/tan/beige?

I can likely supply you at InfoAge, keyswitch and keycaps on Saturday to
you in hand, if you inform me before Friday midnight. OK? Plan B: I find
out Saturday and provide parts Sunday. With parts in hand you can visit
with Jon Chapman at the CDL lab at InfoAge and repair the keyboard in
some short period of time. Please reply privately to me so we can work this.

Regards, Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net
or try later herbjohnson AT comcast DOT net