[vcf-midatlantic] VCF East 2022 Wrap-up

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Tue Apr 26 21:41:58 UTC 2022

I know there's a survey, but I will share that I very much appreciated
vendors being interspersed with the exhibits.  Stepping away from the
table is always hard to do, but it's much easier when you can watch your
table while enjoying the exhibits in the same room as you.  I know at
least one attendee wondered why the organizers didn't put all the
vendors in one room, but I could not seem to explain the benefits (I
suspect he was a "reds go in one pile, whites in another" type of
person.) I enjoyed many of the InfoAge exhibits before I left, though
the multiple exhibit rooms was a bit tedious to navigate at times. (It
doesn't look like a larger combined exhibit space is available at the
venue).

The trip was almost cut short as a no-show, with the little Smart ForTwo
developing a nasty habit of drinking oil midway enroute to NJ, to the
tune of 1 qt per 200 miles, and the little 3 cyl engine only holds
3.5qt.  It turns out that 5W40 (or pretty much any 40 weight oil) seems
to not be in wide usage in the East :-) and is thus hard to source
enroute. Luckily Advance Auto in Neptune, NJ (cute city name...) had it
in both 1 and 5 quart containers, so we stocked up for the drive home,
hoping the little engine that could would make it 1000 more miles back
to Iowa.

Though I now probably sport the only Midwestern Smart car that sounds
like it's powered by a 2 cycle chainsaw engine, it delivered me back
here.  Now, it's off to Mr. Service Tech to determine the extent of
damages.  Hopefully not too bad, as making the trip in the other option
(F350 DRW diesel getting 13-15MPG @5.XX/gallon of diesel) makes the trip
significantly less economical.

Jim