[vcf-midatlantic] Has anyone thought of the VCFED hosting a Mastodon instance?

Dan FitzGerald danjfitzgerald at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 15:12:16 UTC 2022

Look, I know that this probably going nowhere, but there is currently
an interest in people posting to something other than Twitter because
of Elon Musk.  I've been on Mastodon for a couple of years, and it has
its flaws, but a VCFED Mastodon instance wouldn't be the worst idea on
the planet.  One of the flaws with Mastodon is that its like Twitter if
it was open-protocol and made up of clusters of special interest
groups.  If we had a VCFED Mastodon open only to members of VCFED (we
could make membership to this mailing list a prereq to joining the
instance), then the instance's local timeline would be full of posts
from this community.  As opposed to the tech.lgbt instance I am on,
where the local timeline are just a bunch of people that happen to be
queer like me... I feel like a timeline full of folks I just spent
three days sharing an exhibit hall with would be more of an actual
community.

Regards,
Dan FitzGerald
They/Them/Theirs