[vcf-midatlantic] Great Commodore Related moments for me at VCF 2022,

Christian Liendo cliendo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:37:31 UTC 2022

I wanted to share some great moments for me from VCF 2022. I owned a
C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 2000 and Amiga 3000, I worked in an Amiga only
store and I worked on their ad campaign. So for me this was a big
deal.

Where do I start? Albert Charpentier was sitting in the small couch
area in building 9010D and he was talking about his history and what
he did at Commodore. Why he designed what he did and what he did
afterwards. It was wonderful.

Some small tidbits:

He designed the VIC because he liked video games. I thought that was a
great bit of trivia.

He wanted to make a "Commodore 80" and he wanted to use an Intel Chip.

He never heard of the C64 being called the "VW Beetle" of computers
and was surprised with all the people making clones. He knew the
VIC-20 and C64 were big sellers but didn't seem to realize the impact
to so many people. I have to say, the staff from Commodore really
don't know how much of an impact their work did.

Later on I took him to see the Univac and he was very impressed. He
was also impressed by the PDP-8. He had worked on a PDP-8 at one time
and was surprised to see one

At the Commodore Panel Hedley Davis admitted they didn't like the look
of the Amiga 2000. Personally I like the A2000 case but they explained
that the A3000 was an aesthetic choice. I also didn't know about the
joystick design issue they had.

I also realized I want to buy Andy Finkel's shirt collection.