[vcf-midatlantic] Has anyone thought of the VCFED hosting a Mastodon instance?

Deborah Servilla dservilla at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:38:30 UTC 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 8:46 AM Andrew Diller via vcf-midatlantic

> I'm personally fascinated by all the new revelations and misgivings about twitter _all of a sudden_. All of a sudden twitter is some horrible thing that will silence people - it's been doing that for years. If anything there will be less silence.

Here’s why *I’m* worried about the Twitter acquisition, at least:
Simply existing as a trans person on the internet invites unprompted
harassment. Changes to Twitter’s content moderation policies in recent
years have improved the experience for us and other marginalized
groups. If Musk undoes these changes and more, it will almost
certainly enable more harassment and drive people off the site...
thereby enabling the free speech of bigots but silencing their
targets.

Now, I've also used Mastodon for most of its existence, and I just
don't think it's very good. It has most of the issues of Twitter, but
with extra ones piled on top such as a rather small user base, yet
terrible discoverability. As others have mentioned, the federated
timeline is extremely noisy, and as such your experience is almost
entirely dependent on which instance you join. I think forums and
mailing lists, both of which VCF already has, are much better formats
for an organization like this one. So I would not recommend a Mastodon
instance.

Deborah