[vcf-midatlantic] Great Commodore Related moments for me at VCF 2022,

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Thu Apr 28 17:07:14 UTC 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 10:37 AM Christian Liendo via vcf-midatlantic <

> I wanted to share some great moments for me from VCF 2022. I owned a
> C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 2000 and Amiga 3000, I worked in an Amiga only
> store and I worked on their ad campaign. So for me this was a big
> deal.

Thanks for sharing Christian!

> Where do I start? Albert Charpentier was sitting in the small couch
> area in building 9010D and he was talking about his history and what
> he did at Commodore. Why he designed what he did and what he did
> afterwards. It was wonderful.

I agree. A very nice guy!

> Some small tidbits:
>
> He designed the VIC because he liked video games. I thought that was a
> great bit of trivia.

Video games are exciting and drove a lot of the sales of the Vic-20 and
C64. It could do more, but it was the more exciting aspect that many
enjoyed.

> He wanted to make a "Commodore 80" and he wanted to use an Intel Chip.
>
> He never heard of the C64 being called the "VW Beetle" of computers

I've never heard of it that way. I've heard of it referred to as the
Model-T of computers.

> and was surprised with all the people making clones. He knew the
> VIC-20 and C64 were big sellers but didn't seem to realize the impact
> to so many people. I have to say, the staff from Commodore really
> don't know how much of an impact their work did.

That's what seems to happen every year. That speakers don't realize the
impact that they made and the enormous interest that carries on today.

> Later on I took him to see the Univac and he was very impressed. He
> was also impressed by the PDP-8. He had worked on a PDP-8 at one time
> and was surprised to see one

Thank you for doing that. I don't always have a chance to show the VIPs our
museum. It's too bad I wasn't there, I could have turned on the PDP-8 and
showed that it still worked.

> At the Commodore Panel Hedley Davis admitted they didn't like the look
> of the Amiga 2000. Personally I like the A2000 case but they explained
> that the A3000 was an aesthetic choice. I also didn't know about the
> joystick design issue they had.

Micros before the PC clones enjoyed the aesthetic look that many collectors
enjoy today.

> I also realized I want to buy Andy Finkel's shirt collection.

I just want to get a picture of all of them!