[vcf-midatlantic] VCF East Clinic kudos

Crawford Griffith h.crawford.griffith at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 20:50:05 UTC 2022

Folks,

I have to give a public Shout Out / Thank You to Jonathan Chapman and
Glitch Works for the VCF East 2022 workshop / S-100 Clinic. Jonathan worked
tirelessly to get kits built, and S-100 systems fixed, while being
incredibly patient even with newbies, tough customers, and some idiot who
clogged his desolder station.

Highlights were:

* Simply seeing 3 IMSAI’s (mine included) in a row on the CDL workbench
with one early Altair was a treat. Ryan, Dmitry, and I got to see what
other configurations the IMSAI’s had, and swapped known-good parts between
us for testing.

* Seeing a young woman come in, never having soldered before and seeing her
first do a learners kit, then a full-on Glitch project.  There was also
another young woman there later (Connor’s friend) also doing a kit.

* Just seeing people walk in, and say “so, what is all this”? and talk a
bit about the CDL, and what we were working on.  (Tip for introverts, the
end of the front workbench nearest the door make you spokesperson pro tem)

Jonathan’s expertise is hard to overstate, and he got my IMSAI operational.
Jonathan did all the troubleshooting, and brought up the IMSAI power supply
slowly so the electrolytic caps didn’t get all explodey  I swapped out some
known-bad front-panel switches, then the fun began.  I recall there being
at least a few badly tarnished TTL chips, and a bad one-shot chip.  At
least two bad IC sockets, one of which was under front-panel switches -
Jonathan showed how the socket could be removed without major surgery.
Dmitry loaned a 3 voltage / current limited power supply so boards could be
tested *before* plugging into the IMSAI bus.  In the end, I had a basic
operational system, which is fantastic.  Jonathan identified some of my
mystery s-100 boards, procured at Trenton ages ago.  In fact Ryan had one
of them also to test, a video terminal board.  Ryan also loaned me his
front panel as a swap test, and the extra pair of hands needed for lucite
cover re-installation.

So, thanks Jon/Glitch!  I promise to never clog up your Hakko desolder
station ever again!

-Crawford