[vcf-midatlantic] Gerry Lawson's 82nd birthday - Today's Google Doodle

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Thu Dec 1 19:12:48 UTC 2022

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 2:07 PM Randall Kindig <randall.kindig at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I interviewed Ed for the Floppy Days Podcast a couple of years ago (
> https://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-100-ed-smith-developer-of-apf-mp1000-and-im-1).  Neat
> story.  He didn’t ask for a fee to be on my podcast.  Just sayin’

That may be because the perception that VCF East has big bucks to spend on
speakers. We do not. It has grown big enough with many big and/or popular
speakers in vintage computer speakers. He had emailed me out of the blue. I
called him on the phone. He mentioned a speaker fee. I explained that we
are a non-profit, that we have never paid a fee and that is way beyond our
budget. That's when he offered $2000 for a virtual talk. He already has a
book, so I don't know why he is asking for money. I would think it would be
better for him to just plug his book at our show.