[vcf-midatlantic] What we can learn from vintage computing

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Wed Dec 14 14:44:37 UTC 2022

On 12/14/22 08:51, Jonathan Chapman via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> This is from a programmer's point of view but still interesting reading
>>
>> https://github.com/readme/featured/vintage-computing
>
> Decent article! There's absolutely value in learning this old stuff. I still maintain that hacking on old computers at the architecture/machine code/asm level gave me a distinct advantage over "academically stronger" (better at memorizing, mostly) folks in college.
>
> I don't know if they're still doing it, but at some point in talking with folks at the MIT Flea, someone had related that MIT was still offering either a comp arch or comp org type of course using the PDP-11. This was some time between 2010 and 2015. Like the article says, before a point it's possible to understand all parts of a whole system.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

I really can't imagine how hard it would be to pick up something like
Software defined networks and try to understand it without knowing
the basics of networking and the OSI stack.

Same here, learned a lot from Don Lancaster's articles on the Apple
II (amazingly simple, complex machine). That and my electronics
and I'm now reverse engineering the Liebert controller for a CDL
project. Got Motorola Lilbug assembled last night. Need to make a
few tweeks to the code.

Learning a simple architecture made it possible to understand what
the asm code was doing and how it worked with the electronics. And
while I can pretty much identify what todays chips are and what a
board can do so much of it is hidden inside the system on a chip
or worse FPGA.

Everything is built on the basics.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       kd2zrq at linuxha.com
Author of:    	Linux Smart Homes For Dummies   KD2ZRQ