[vcf-midatlantic] Swap Meet feedback: How did it go?

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Mon Feb 28 17:55:59 UTC 2022

On 2/28/2022 11:41 AM, Sentrytv via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> One of the best ideas that you guys had was not requiring an entrance fee for the buyers.
>
> I don’t know how many people on this list realize this but the Hamfests and other computer shows charge for buyer admission.
> Sometimes up to $10 or more depending on the venue.
> Some of these events have more than just a swapmeet or Hamfest and can justify the charge.
>
> If it is just going to be a indoor or outdoor, especially outdoor swap meet/Hamfest,
>   then no charge to buyers is actually a very good idea.
>
> Also, I have seen the Hamfests in the area charge vendors $25 and up for spaces if you’re not a member.
> And still charging admission fees of up to $10.
>
> In reality the admission fee for vendors should pay for their operating costs, If done properly.
>
> And the result would be a larger attendance overall.
>
> My observation and two cents.
>
> Mike Rosen

I have little to add, since I was not able to attend, but I wanted to
align with this perspective.  Charging vendors and using those funds to
underwrite the cost of the event reduces the entry barrier and maximizes
engagement. Vendors don't mind (some view it as the cost of early
access, while others see it as simply the funds needed to justify the
event), and attendees have little excuse not to attend.  Of course, if
traffic gets too high, attendance fees can help manage it, so it can be
useful as well.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com