[vcf-midatlantic] Memories of 1977

Jonathan Chapman lists at glitchwrks.com
Wed Jan 12 20:45:12 UTC 2022

Joe,

Probably the SEMI4200 for static RAM, IIRC that was out by 1977. 4k x 1 bit in a 0.4" wide DIP, pretty fast, and low power (they are triple voltage parts).

Might not want to use them up though, they're somewhat hard to find for affordable prices, and a fair number of vintage computer use them. They also have a modestly high failure rate.

If you want to "money was no object" pack it full of memory, look at some of IDT's super high density mil-spec offerings. Usually a ceramic carrier with smaller CLCCs on it, like this:

https://imgur.com/a/x9AM9DC

Or this:

https://imgur.com/J5GThVD.jpg

I believe both of those examples are significantly newer than you're wanting, but that's where you'd find the highest possible density of the era.

Thanks,
Jonathan