[vcf-midatlantic] Recovery of RD53 image data

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jan 25 22:22:48 UTC 2022

On 1/25/22 1:11 PM, David Gesswein via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> I have a bunch of tapes on the to read stack. I think I got the drive
> working but was running into the tape sticking problem. On the todo is
> buying/making a tape baker to try to archive the tapes. I also got a SCSI
> version of the drive which should make it easier to create an image.

   If they're TK50s, I wouldn't bother using an actual TK50 drive to
read them.  They didn't work worth a damn even when they were new.  I
still don't understand how they brought that product to market in that
sort of shape.  Best to get a Tx85, Tx86, or Tx87, with the second
letter for the appropriate interface. ('Z' is SCSI)  These can all read
(but not write) TK50 tapes.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ