[vcf-midatlantic] Museum and Warehouse report OS/2 PPC machine

madodel madodel at mac.com
Wed Jun 22 14:31:50 UTC 2022

Hopefully the OS/2 PPC machine can be brought back to life as I was told
there are very few machines (2 IBM PPC desktop models and 2 IBM PPC
Thinkpads which met the IBM/Apple/Motorola CHRP standard) that can run OS/2
PPC. I don't know if any Power Macs can run it since it had very limited
hardware support finished at the time of its only release. Is it completely
dead? At its best OS/2 PPC, which was more like an Alpha release then even
Beta quality, is incredibly flaky and crashed with little effort. It is
more of a curiosity for display than a working demo computer. IBM was
rumored to have sunk $500,000 into development of OS/2 PPC, back when that
was a lot of money. Sad it was such a complete failure.

Mark