[vcf-midatlantic] Swap Meet feedback: vendor early access

skogkatt007 at yahoo.com skogkatt007 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 11:19:11 UTC 2022

 Ok yeah well on the other hand the vendors appear due to the presence of buyers. I thought vendors were there to sell their products. So ... let me get this strait, this mandates early access to not only the selling floor, but the free pile also? Wow, what are the buyer's perks??? Show up, make it worthwhile for the vendors, pay hiked up prices for items they could possibly have gotten for less (maybe waaaaaaay less)? Wow, yeah sounds totally fair to me.

I used to belong to an entirely different collector's organization. They allowed exactly zero rummaging or wandering around the sales floor prior to EVERYONE being allowed access. It's bullcrap, it's equivalent to a limited access club where only the elite enjoy the cream of the crop. VCF, by now one would think, is a mature organization. But if it's still presently growing in that direction, it needs to carefully consider these matters. And the current stance on them.

As to the issue of who's paying to be there, well the sellers kick in 20$ for their first table, 10 $ for additional tables. The sellers generally leave with a lot more money then they came with regardless of the fees up front. The patrons pay nothing up front, and leave a lot poorer, so to speak. It's not an unreasonable arrangement. It might be worth it to pay a small entrance fee, once everything became more fair. And I could get people out of my face telling me what they could get for something (in one case something that was quite far from operational) if they put it on ebay. Where potentially thousands of people worldwide get to peruse an item. It's a total canard.     On Wednesday, March 2, 2022, 05:48:13 AM EST, Jeffrey Jonas via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

 Replying to Adam Michlin:

> To my mind, the event is nothing without the vendors
> and a perk of being a vendor should be
> having early access to other vendors

Thank you for stating that so eloquently.
At other events, I volunteered to staff a
maker space's table, load and unload, etc.
Early access was the perk that made it all worthwhile,
thus freeing me to focus on supporting the event during "open hours".

> especially since we want vendors manning their table
> during open to public hours.

Agreed.

> Whatever "official" hours we post,
> there will always be "unofficial" hours ...
> So early vendor to vendor access at 7am
> and general public access at 8am
> seems to be the worst option
> except for all those other options
> that have been tried from time to time
> (with apologies to Churchill).

There's the letter of the law
and then there's the intention of the law.
There are always ways to circumvent any attempt of "fair access".

One place had the rule "no SALES until opening time",
so everyone quietly and politely set things aside,
reserving items for other vendors until the opening bell.

-- jeffj