[vcf-midatlantic] Swap Meet feedback: vendor early access

Ian Primus ian.primus.ccmp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:36:23 UTC 2022

I'm having a hard time understanding what you want. It sounds like you
want to have early access to the show. Which you can do - all you have
to do is pay the vendor admission fee. You chose not to.

This is simply how swap meets and hamfests work. I can understand the
frustration, not getting a chance at something, or seeing someone else
walking off with something you wanted to buy, but, that's just how
sales of anything work. You can't not allow vendors to have early
access to buying stuff from each other, because, well... they have to
be in there early in order to set up. Not to mention, most of the
sellers already know each other. Many trades and sales were worked out
days ago.

One source of frustration that I see a simple solution to, is how many
sales happened before the show, privately, via email, based on
uploaded spreadsheets and lists of things vendors were going to bring
for sale. Sure, it's frustrating if you're not checking the
spreadsheets regularly, and miss out that way - but what's worse is
when the item in question is physically at the show, there at a table
as if it's out for sale, with no way of knowing that it's already been
sold. I know at least one person that stood at a vendor's table for an
hour, waiting for the vendor to return, trying to buy an item, only to
find that it had been sold days before. Simple solution to this. If
something is sold, either don't bring it in to your table, or put a
SOLD sign on it. It should be easily clear to anyone walking around if
an item is available or not. You can't pretend you can block presales,
vendor to vendor sales before the event, etc. It just needs to be done
in such a way as to not mislead other buyers.

-Ian

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 4:03 PM skogkatt007--- via vcf-midatlantic