[vcf-midatlantic] PDP-11 topics again.

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Mar 15 17:07:02 UTC 2022

On 3/15/22 12:46, Dave Shevett wrote:
> Hahhahahah.  FUNNY BIT HERE.
>
> check this out.  someone sent me these because they just had them lying around
>
> They're literally decoration on my wall.  They're 11/03's.  What are
> the chances of these working?  :)
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/aky83u4dbsouvfh/2022-03-15%2012.37.50.jpg?dl=0

   Wow, very early-rev 11/03s.  The RAM on those boards might have
issues, in particular.  But you should be able to get to ODT at least.

> Here's the other problem.  The console on the /73 is on the mainboard.
> I have a pair of DLV11J's I could use - same pinning, but I'd need to
> identify the console somehow.  Hmmmmm.  (googles a bit) Ahhh, the
> DLV11J can be jumpered to say I AM THE CONSOLE.
>
> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/qbus/EK-DLV1J-UG-001_DLV11-J_Users_Guide_Oct78.pdf

   Yup, that's probably the most common configuration for a DLV11-J.

> I think I've found my project for tonight.

   Yes. :)

> Dave, thanks for the info on the 11/03 - I was almost sure the Qbus
> CPUs were all switchable, but thanks for the validation.

   Well I've never run an 11/03 CPU in a BA23 myself, but I see no
reason why it wouldn't work.  I remember something about the run signal
being in the right place, but that'd just affect the run LED on the
front panel.

> For some
> reason I was lumping in an 11/05 which didn't make any sense
> whatsoever.  And yeah, that machine Im' probably went to some poor
> slob who I'm sure never did anything with it.

   Damn. :-(

> We never got it past
> like instruction 8 in the bootstrap.

   I could've sworn that you and (who was it?) had it booting RT-11 from
an RK05 at your old place in New Hope, spread out on a big door being
used as a table I think.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ