[vcf-midatlantic] Shugart SA800-2 drives

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Tue Mar 22 06:10:00 UTC 2022

    I have a pair of Shugart SA800-2 8" drives, which are mounted in a
Micromation enclosure. Both drives have the factory jumper configuration,
except for the B: drive which has the termination jumpers (T3, T4, T5 and T6)
removed and DS2 installed.

    I've connected them to my media system via an older FDADAP board. Using the
IMD program, I try and read a single-sided disk that has valid data. The drive
selects and the head-load solenoid activates. After several seconds, IMD
displays a "No interrupt from FDC" error. The same thing happens with both
drives. The Alignment function doesn't recognize anything from the disk.

    I've successfully used this system with Tandon TM848-2 drives, and a
Siemens 120-8. Before I start chasing signals, are there any obvious pitfalls
to using a SA800-2 with a (relatively) modern PC?

    Should the DC (Disk Change) jumper be installed? By default, it is not. I
noticed that on the Tandon drive, DC is installed.

    I have the operating and maintenance manuals for the SA800/801 drives.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us