[vcf-midatlantic] VCF East Clinic kudos

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Sun May 1 17:25:17 UTC 2022

On 5/1/22 13:10, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

>>> Heh, Crawford is just picking on himself, he hadn't used a Hakko before and didn't know you try to keep the tip (metallic/flux)
>>> dry -- that's why they recommend the brass wool cleaner, it scrapes it clean. He dunked the tip in flux as one does with a
>>> soldering iron, to clean it. The Hakko runs at 750 *F and basically instantly carbonized it into a plug. Fortunately, CDL has a
>>> numbers drill set and we used one of the little ones to clean it out. As luck would have it, the proper tool for that (a small
>>> drill in a pin vise) got left at the shop!
>>
>> BRASS WOOOL, EEEEEK!
>
>    Nonono, not the super-fine stuff that destroys datacenters.  The stuff he's talking about is very coarse and generally doesn't
> turn into electronics-destroying dust.

I hate the brass wool for our soldering irons. Much more partial to use
of a sponge. I've seen too many folks wipe the snot of their soldering
iron down to the copper inside (3 to get to the inside of a tootsie pop).

Sorry I don't like abrasives on my soldering iron tips. I also don't like
using the tip to melt anything other than solder. I use the barrel for
heat shrink.

For the desoldering iron the wool might be okay.

And yes, always need to clean a desoldering iron (disassemble). Solder
suckers also need to be cleaned out.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com