[vcf-midatlantic] An idea for preservation and a proposal for the future of the VCF's library of written media.

Ethan O'Toole telmnstr at 757.org
Fri May 13 14:47:26 UTC 2022

> but there are also scanners that exist which can do this job well without
> it being destructive to the books. The issue of course is that these
> scanners are by no means cheap for the average small scale user wanting to

I had gotten a bunch of SCUBA diving magazines donated to me by someone
for the purpose of scanning. Maybe 200 pounds of them. And while they had
some decent value on the market to collectors, there was a time tradeoff.
I looked at those double camera book imaging setups, but a person has to
flip every page. Vacuum assisted stuff, aluminum t-slot extrusion is sexy.
But at last, the fastest way to accomplish the task at the best price
(free) was to borrow friends duplex page scanner from Brother.

So I cut off all the bindings. It saved so much time, it was worth it. And
now the internet at large gets a high res copy of the magazines. The data
is preserved as long as the copies on the internet stay around, which who
knows how long that will be. Spreading the data collection to more people
helps. Archive.org, torrents, mirrors, etc.

ALSO, since it's so time intensive.... I think the way to really
accomplish large scanning missions is have volunteers do it from home and
not go to some place to do it. To make the most of ones time it's best to
multitask.

My friend let me borrow his sexy little Brother scanning machine that
could do full duplex. I used a couple of computers (thanks to another VCF
member!) to handle the OCR side of the software, so I could keep the
network attached scanner as busy as possible when I had time. I would
rotate through the computers triggering a scan, and they would scan and
process it. I could keep 4 computers busy usually given how long it took
for the OCR process. Also it allowed me to scan 4, then do the next four
the next time I passed by the setup. Black and white old computer docs
would be WAY easier and faster than this full color stuff I was doing.

It's best if you can do some other task while scanning, so all your time
isn't focused on it. Chop the bindings, stack the goods. Then when you
come by drop in another batch, click go. So you can work on something else
while feeding all this through. So your time isn't stuck on that one task,
unless you have a lot of time. Work from homers could possible just feed
stacks all day while doing other tasks, etc.

It took weeks and weeks to scan through 4 banker boxes stuffed with
magazines.

I sold the watch ads and other bits to pay for the chopper which ran about
$150.

https://archive.org/details/diving_magazines

Used copy machines might be able to do duplex scanning way faster, but
unsure of the software support.

I used Abbyy Finereader 11 for the OCR. Pack in for the Brother, works
with Epson software.